Private healthcare insurance

If you are planning to start studying in The Netherlands, you need to make sure you are properly and sufficiently insured. Within Europe, there are agreements that make it easier to be insured in a different European country. If you are not from Europe, the EEA or Switzerland, chances are that you will have to take out private healthcare insurance. On this page, you will find more information about what this type of insurance entails.

What is private healthcare insurance?

In the Dutch healthcare system, inhabitants of the country are obliged to take out basic healthcare insurance. The Dutch government determines each year what the coverage of basic insurance will be. All the insurance companies, subsequently, are obliged to provide basic healthcare insurance packages that cover the forms of care the government has decided on. In some situations, for almost all non-European international students, it is legally not possible to apply for this insurance. To make sure everyone living in The Netherlands is well insured, private healthcare insurance is made available. Private healthcare insurance offers extensive coverage for medical care but also (optional) coverage for dental care, repatriation or maternity plans.

When do I need private healthcare insurance?

Not every international student has to take out private healthcare insurance. In some situations, you can apply for basic Dutch health insurance or you get to keep the insurance from your home country. Private healthcare insurance is specially made available for those students that come from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland. The only exceptions are:

  • You are going to work in the Netherlands;
  • You are going to do a paid internship (earning at least the minimum wage and/or receiving expenses).

In the above mentioned situations, you will need to apply for Dutch healthcare insurance within 3 months.

Read more about the rules concerning health insurances on the page insurance options for foreign students.

Coverage private health insurance

When you take out private healthcare insurance you will be insured for medical care in The Netherlands. In some cases, these insurances also come with more comprehensive coverage regarding specialist treatments like rehabilitation or optional coverage for dental care or repatriation. Besides that, if you are planning to travel through Europe, you can look into the so called ‘globetrotter’ insurances. These kind of insurances also offer coverage for:

  • Luggage
  • Legal assistance
  • Liability
  • Accident insurance

Always read the policy terms carefully before deciding on insurance. The insurance companies can differ in the conditions they apply. The policy terms are usually available in English.


You will have to pay the insurance company a fixed premium every month. How high this premium is, depends on the insurance company you choose, your home country, your age, additional coverage and how long you will be staying in The Netherlands.

Insurance companies

Special private insurances for international students are offered by Allianz Global Assistance.

Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz Global Assistance offers a special Incoming Student Insurance. This insurance can be taken out for a maximum of 18 months. With the Allianz Global Assistance Incoming Student Insurance you are insured for:

  • S.O.S.-costs
  • Medical care in the Netherlands
  • Travel accidents
  • Damage to travel luggage
  • Liability

Additional benefits of this insurance are:

  • A special policy for European students and one for non-European students
  • Access to a travel doctor who speaks 6 languages
  • Coverage during holiday or a visit to your home country (maximum 21 days)

There are some conditions regarding the insurance:

  • €4,50 administration costs are charged
  • Optional supplementary coverage for risky sports or winter sports

Allianz Global Assistance

Note: Only the Au Pair family can take out this insurance. If you want to take out the insurance for yourself, you can apply for globetrotter insurance.

About us is the authority for student insurances. We are independent, and have no financial or relational agreement with any insurance company.