Working as a non-residence

Do you live in Germany and study and work in the Netherlands? Or do you live in Belgium and study and work in Maastricht? Then you probably want to know what to think about in terms of all the rules. What about your health insurance and taxes, for example? Here we list for you what you need to think about in terms of:

  • Taxes
  • Insurance
  • Illness
  • Occupational disability
  • BSN number

BSN number

Although you live in Belgium or Germany, if you want to work in the Netherlands, you will need a ‘Burgerservicenummer’ (BSN). This number is similar to the ‘Rijksregisternummer’ in Belgium, for example, and is used for communication with the Dutch government. You can apply for a BSN number at the municipality where you will be working.


If you live in another country but work in the Netherlands, you are called a ‘cross-border worker’. As a cross-border worker, you are obliged to pay social security contributions and taxes in the Netherlands. Taxes are usually automatically deducted from your salary. Do you live in Belgium but work in the Netherlands? Then you have an advantage, because Belgium and the Netherlands have a tax treaty to avoid double taxation. This means you pay taxes in the country where you work and are less likely to have to pay taxes twice.

Social insurance

Who works in the Netherlands is obliged to contribute to social insurance. What exactly does this entail? Social insurances, in short, are legal insurances designed to provide residents with financial security in case of certain circumstances that may lead to loss of income or high costs. These include illness, disability, unemployment, retirement or death.In the Netherlands, as an employee, you are automatically insured for things like unemployment, illness and disability. The Dutch social insurance system is very comprehensive compared to other countries.

Sickness and disability

In case of sickness or disability, you are entitled to benefits under Dutch law. The benefits depend on your salary and the nature of your disability. It is important to contact your employer as soon as possible if you fall ill or become unfit for work, as this may affect your benefits.

Health insurance

If you work in the Netherlands, you are obliged to take out Dutch health insurance. This health insurance also covers medical care in Belgium. Through your Dutch health insurer, you can apply for an S1/E106 form to register with a Belgian health insurer, which means you are insured for care in both countries. Combining studying, living and working in other countries is therefore perfectly possible if you are aware of the different rules. Inform your employer about your situation and make sure you arrange everything properly regarding your employment contract, health insurance and social insurance. Do you live in a country other than Belgium or Germany or would you like more information? Then check the website of the Dutch Tax Administration (‘Belastingsdienst’) for more information.

About us is the authority for student insurances. We are independent, and have no financial or relational agreement with any insurance company.